Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Visa, Vomit, and Family Search

Back in Seoul getting my visa for Brazil--woo! I'm in the small common room of the Hostel Korea, coughing like I've been smoking for 40 years. This cold has been doggin me. Last Sunday night (not the other day but a week ago) I was throwing up at my friend's house and then at my homestay because I think because my host mother overfed me. Gosh...I sound like a goldfish (hahaha, Kristofer calls me a goldfish cuz my memory is so bad). Then for a few nights I couldn't sleep because of bad gas (how embarassing) and another few nights I stayed up battling with this one mosquito in my room. We tried fumugating my room, but he survived and one night I had to leave the lights on and I caught him! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

But now...I'm weezing and coughing. It's strange. My body is never usually this weak. Please pray for me.

Also keep your fingers crossed that I find my family. I came here with the goal of finding my father's sisters. I just finally started trying harder. But first I have to track down my half sister who I have not spoken to in about 7 years. In order to find her I had to hunt down her old pastor in MA. This is turning out to be quite the saga. Like the good pastor he is, he emailed me with her address and number in Portland, Oregon and....tomorrow I will give her a call. We never had a good relationship so me showing up again after 7 years asking for a favor may not go well...but who knows. She's the only easy link I have to finding my aunts (because as you all know, my parents have passed away....people still ask about them!!). I'm this close from going on one of the many reunion shows on Korean television...

Anyway, we'll see if she's still at that address and what she says. I now have 7 weeks left. Will I see my cousin Gokji again? I remember the last time I saw her, I screamed at her for using a palmful of my Noxema facewash in one washing --it was American and hard to get. Oh Gokji, will you forgive me? I promise you can hold hands with me this time (back then, being the little American brat that I was, I didn't understand the concept of friends of the same sex holding hands affectionately, but it's so common here and in many places of the world other than the U.S.), and you can even eat my facewash if you like (it's made from honey!). (^_^)

keep 'em crossed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home