Monday, November 28, 2005

Peer Editing: A Lesson on Patience

They're writing their own stuff. They write about funny quirks their cousins have or about their friend who likes to sing songs all the time, though she sings terribly. Although their writing is not always grammatically correct, it's almost completely understandable and is always honest and done with hard work...well, at least for the students who come faithfully and try hard in class.

Today I decided to type out six writing entries because only six came to class last Thursday. We peer edited in partners on Thursday. Today we did it as a class. Everyone had to read one entry with a partner --to listen to the rhythm of the writing-- then had to correct or at least underline words or phrases that sounded awkward. After that, they had to tell me their corrections or hunches and I changed it so that everyone could see it on the projection screen. Many of them did a great job--at least the students who come regularly and work hard. The other students were, as usual, off in la la land. Is that my fault? I get paranoid that I am boring them or my lessons are too difficult and targeted to certain kinds of learners. However, I change it up with charades and movement, puzzles, sharing, music, personal writing, so I can't help but think that it's just those students don't care so much or aren't interested in working hard. Maybe it's because I bust their asses for talking too much, to come to class on time, or to notify me in advance when they can not make it. However, isn't that all a part of learning? It's part of the real life lessons of learning, and stuff they should already know.

However, just like I demand their patience because in time they will see it all makes sense, it comes together, there's a reason why I have them mime at the beginning of class, I need to be patient with myself too. I don't have to be super teacher, they don't always have to like me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home