Wednesday, December 21, 2005

inspiring notes from a bathroom stall

"teaching is learning the second time around"

"it's not what you know, but how much you use what you know"

What a good idea: putting inspiring quotes on the bathroom stall door. Now if I wasn't so distracted by the huge daddy long-legs waiting upside-down on the the chipped and fading sea green, wooden door frame while I balance myself squatting over the urinal in the ground careful not to get anything on my jeans that are folded up mid-calf, maybe I could ponder these words and the others (Mahatma Gandhi has been quoted as well). Although, as I look back at the waste basket holding all the tissues (only waste gets flushed) I think, maybe the next inspiring quote on the stalls should be, "it could be worse."

I promise I'm not a snob. My students and other teachers agree, the worst part about being at school in this cold weather is when we have to use the bathroom. Since the hallways are an icebox, we all wear three layers that's all gotta get stripped since we're not sitting on toilets but squatting low to the ground. Although, I guess I should be thankful for these flexible hip flexors because squatting is no problem for me, unlike what I've heard from some of the other teaching assistants. One friend, I won't name names...., was demonstrating her technique --half squatting on the balls of her feet (so squatting on tippy-toe) to compensate for not being able to get so low.

Although...getting too low can be scary, too. Then you're even closer to your stuff. It's quite a site seeing all that brown that close.

Ok...enough of the toilet humor.

Ha!

Well, at least at home, the toilet seat comes heated (ahhhhh).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home